Help for renters

Talk to us if you need help with your rent or housing costs. We offer financial support to people to get into or stay in private rentals. This includes students and people over 65.


There are translations of this content in other languages and in an audio file at the bottom of the page.

You don’t have to be on a benefit to get help. You may also be eligible if you’re on a low income.

The support you get will depend on your circumstances, income and assets.

Ongoing help with rent

If you need help to pay your rent or board, you may be able to get a regular payment called Accommodation Supplement. It’s not available to people in public housing.

If you need further help to cover your rent or other essential living costs, you may also be able to get Temporary Additional Support. It can be paid for up to 13 weeks at a time.

Paying overdue rent

If you’re behind with rent, act early. Talk with your landlord about a plan to pay your overdue rent. If this isn’t possible, we may be able to help so you
don’t lose your home.

You may be able to get a Rent Arrears Grant. You’ll need to pay this money back.

Bond and rent in advance

If you’ve found a place, we may be able to help you pay bond and rent in advance.

Talk with us and we’ll work out what support you can get. It may be a Bond or Rent in Advance Grant. You’ll need to pay this money back.

Moving house

A Moving Costs Grant can help with things like trailer or truck hire. It can also be used for movers, if you cannot help with the move yourself, for example because of age, illness or disability.

You’ll need to pay this money back.

Help getting a rental property

If you’re looking for a place to live but it’s hard to find one because of your personal situation, we may be able to help by giving you a Tenancy Costs
Cover letter that can be given to a landlord.

How to apply

You can apply in person or by phone.

Before you apply, you’ll need to gather some documents, including:

  • proof of who you are
  • income and assets details
  • proof of the expenses you have (like moving costs or overdue rent)
  • your tenancy agreement.

Apply in person

Visit your local Work and Income service centre. It’s best to make an appointment first. You can find our sites at

Apply over the phone

To apply over the phone, you can call us from 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 1pm on Saturdays. You can ask for an interpreter when you call.

Call us on:

People getting Youth Payment or Young Parent Payment please contact your Youth Coach directly.

If you’re deaf, hearing-impaired or find it hard to communicate by phone, you can:

For more information

Go to

You can also check what you might get online at

Send this to a friend