Do you want to engage with a variety of different people and organisations, ranging from the Deaf Community to the PM’s office? We have a wide range of customers, including thousands of Deaf people, approximately New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) interpreters, employers, businesses, hospitals. We are looking for a Customer Service Officer with experience in engaging with stakeholders at all levels.
iSign is a New Zealand Sign Language interpreter booking service providing qualified NZSL interpreters for jobs all around New Zealand. iSign provides over 19,000 hours of interpreting services each year, including medical appointments and announcements by the Prime Minister, by matching and organising assignments to the qualified interpreters.
iSign is one of the services of Deaf Aotearoa, which is a not-for-profit organisation, providing a range of services for the Deaf community around New Zealand. Other services include First Signs, a service which is for Deaf and hard-of-hearing children, their families and whānau and employment support and Hauora, which support Deaf Adults.
Deaf Aotearoa provides a workplace which values diversity, and where both New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) and English are used. Staff members are supported in the development of their NZSL skills. We are an equal opportunities employer and we have Deaf-friendly work practices in place. We employ Deaf people at all levels, NZSL interpreters are provided for all meetings and training courses.
We are strongly committed to following organisation standards that ensure we provide quality systems, work practices and services. We perform service audits and review our policies regularly.
About the role
- Responding appropriately to requests for interpreters from Deaf Community members, government departments and the general public
- Job matching – matching the right interpreters with the appropriate skills to the job request
- Works well under pressure and is able to manage own workload to ensure there is time to assist and support customers efficiently
- Prioritize requests for bookings at the earliest opportunity
- Works with flexibility
- Key customer service principles of care, compassion and friendliness
- Seek opportunities to actively promote iSign and Deaf Aotearoa and act in the best interest of Deaf Aotearoa
Skills and experience
- Strong administration skills
- Experience in an admin/coordination position
- Experience in customer service & sales
- Strong communication skills and relationship-building skills
- Strong English skills both written and oral
- A willingness to learn New Zealand Sign Language appropriate to the role
- Experience in the not-for-profit/community sector (good to have but not essential)
- Proficiency in using a variety of IT systems, applications and software
- Commitment to the Treaty of Waitangi & Pacific values
Applications for this position close at 3pm on the 7th November 2023
We also welcome applications in NZ Sign Language.
For any further information about this role, please contact Rachel at Rachel.Elmes@isign.co.nz