Advice for Aucklanders Seeking help and support

Your wellbeing

Asking for help is okay in these challenging times.

It is understandable to feel sad, distressed, worried, confused, anxious or angry.

For help with anxiety, distress, or mental wellbeing, call or text NEED TO TALK to 1737 or
contact one of the network of health and well-being providers including Lifeline,
Samaritans or the Mental Health Foundation.

Youthline – 0800 376 633, free text 234 or email or online chat.

• To report flooding, damage to drains, or stormwater issues, please log your issue
online at or contact us on 0800 22 22 00.
• For welfare assistance, contact the Ministry of Social Development on 0800 400 100.
Further information about support available from the Ministry of Social Development
(MSD) can be found on the Work and Income website
• If you have urgent food needs as a result of being displaced by the flooding, you can
look for providers at


There is assistance for you.

If you need assistance with emergency accommodation, please free call 0800 22 22 00.
Or go to a Civil Defence Centre.

Community Support Hubs are available to provide you with information and advice.

You can find information about the Civil Defence Centres and Community Support Hubs
at or phone 0800 22 22 00.

There are lots of ways Work and Income can help, including Civil Defence payments.
Contact them on 0800 400 100 or visit their website

The Auckland Council Emergency Relief Fund provides one-off financial support to people
who are experiencing hardship and need urgent financial assistance. For more
information, call 09 301 0101.

You do not need to be a beneficiary to access any of these supports.

Advice from insurers

• Contact your insurer as soon as you can. They will tell you how to keep a record of
what has been damaged and ask you to take photographs.
• Get essential services, such as water, electricity, gas and sewerage, repaired and keep
copies of any invoices.
• Try to make buildings safe and weatherproof but don’t make any emergency repairs
unless it is safe to do so. Don’t start non-essential repairs without your insurance
company’s approval.
• Do not drive your vehicle if it has suffered water damage.

Leave a comment

Send this to a friend