Auckland Civil Defence and Emergency Management Group

Auckland Emergency Management is coordinating assistance to communities affected by the January 2023 severe weather event.

Civil Defence Centres

Auckland Emergency Management have opened Civil Defence Centres for those who need to evacuate and cannot stay with friends or whānau. Please bring with you any essential items you may need, including medication, warm clothing and baby items.

For an up to date list of Civil Defence Centres, visit

Community information hubs

Auckland Emergency Management have established community and information hubs for information about the severe weather and what support is available to you. For an up to date list of community information hubs visit

If you need help

  • To report flooding, damage to drains, or stormwater issues, please log your issue online:
  • If your life is at risk, phone 111.
  • If you need urgent accommodation assistance, phone Auckland Emergency Management on 0800 22 22 00.
  • For welfare assistance, you can call the Ministry of Social Development on 0800 400 100.

As the situation continues to evolve, Auckland Emergency Management advises that people keep up to date with the latest travel advice by following Auckland Transport on Twitter @AT_TravelAlerts and by checking the Waka Kotahi website:

Water supply and wastewater network

Watercare’s water treatment plants are operating and your water is safe to drink.

Residents living in Titirangi, Woodlands Park, Oratia, Greenbay, Waima and elevated sections of Scenic Drive are likely to have no water or low water pressure for at least the next 48 hours.

A 30-metre-long section of water pipe that ran along Scenic Drive in Titirangi was washed away with the road due to a landslide. It will be challenging to repair due to the extent of the damage and access to the site.
Version 1 (28 January 2023)

Watercare is sending out water tankers to the area. Customers will be able to fill up their water bottles from the tankers.

Residents on the North Shore are asked to reduce their water use. Please keep your showers short and do not use your washing machines. This is to reduce the volume of wastewater leaving your properties.

A wastewater pump station on Wairau Road that serves several suburbs on the North Shore has been flooded. This means the pump station is overflowing into a nearby waterway.

The wastewater networks and treatment plants have been overwhelmed by stormwater, causing numerous overflows across Auckland.

Watercare is prioritising overflows that are damaging private property. Most of the clean-up activity will need to occur when the rain stops, as this is when the overflows will stop flowing.

For more information, visit Watercare’s dedicated information page:

Cleaning up after a flood

It is important to clean and dry your house and everything in it. Floodwater may contain sewage and other hazardous materials which can contaminate your home.

  • If your gas meter has been affected by water or debris, contact your gas supplier.
  • Always work safely when cleaning up after a flood by wearing protective clothing and washing hands thoroughly after clean-up and before handling food.
  • Keep children and animals away from previously flooded areas until they have been cleaned and made safe.
  • Take photos and videos of the damage and anything that needs to be thrown away before starting the clean-up, for insurance purposes.
  • Clean up, drain, and dry inside as quickly as possible. Take out everything that is wet and that can be moved – floor coverings, furniture, bedding, clothing, etc., and put them outside to dry when the weather is fine.
  • Throw away all food and drinking water that has come in contact with floodwater, including things stored in containers.
  • Do not eat garden produce if the soil has been flooded. Clean up and remove debris and sprinkle gardens with lime.

Traffic and travel updates

As the situation continues to evolve, Auckland Emergency Management advises that people keep up to date with the latest travel advice by following Auckland Transport on Twitter @AT_TravelAlerts and by checking the Waka Kotahi website.

  • We are anticipating further rainfall so please keep an eye on the weather forecast
  • Please only return to your property if it is safe to do so
  • Do not drive through floodwaters and remember it could be contaminated
  • Hazards and debris could also be beneath the surface

Where to turn for help and support

Civil Defence Payments

Civil Defence Payments are available for people who have been affected by the floodings in the Auckland region.

You don’t have to be on a benefit to qualify for a Civil Defence Payment. In most cases it doesn’t matter what your income is or what assets you have. These payments are available for a limited time.

  • A Civil Defence Payment can help with:
  • accommodation costs if you’re evacuated and are staying in accommodation such as motels, hotels or temporary rental accommodation,
  • loss of income because you can’t work due to the flooding,
  • emergency food, clothing and bedding if yours has been damaged or destroyed by the flooding,
  • a payment if you have evacuees staying with you in places such as a private home, marae or community centres.

Call Work and Income on 0800 400 100 between 8am and 5pm on the Saturday 28th, Sunday 29th and Monday 30th of January 2023 to apply for Civil Defence payments.


Insurance and lodging a claim

If your home, car, or contents have been damaged by the severe weather, take photos before you remove or repair anything and report it to your insurance company as soon as possible. You only need to contact your insurance company and they’ll let you know what you need to do next, how to claim and – if applicable – how EQ Cover from Toka Tū Ake EQC works.

If you need to make your home safe, sanitary, secure, and weather tight, please record the work done, take before and after photos, and keep copies of the bills you paid.

If you are an uninsured homeowner, contact the EOC Welfare team on 03 543 7290 (After hours 03 546 0200).

If you don’t have house insurance but do have contents insurance, speak to your insurer about what is covered. Make sure you take lots of photos and keep good records before you throw anything out, where possible.

The Residential Advisory Service (RAS) within MBIE provide advocacy services and advice to homeowners who are navigating insurance claims to remediate damage suffered due to an event. You can contact or ring 0800 777 299, 03 379 7027 for more information.

Tenancy information

If you are the tenant or landlord of a rental property, you can find information on your rights and obligations at or by phoning 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262).

Schools and early childhood education centres

The Ministry of Education supports all schools and early learning services to help them recover from the event. Parents and caregivers should check with their school or early learning service for updated information.

Check with your school or early childhood centre to see if they have been affected by the floods.

Local healthcare Services

Health care services across Auckland are continuing to provide care if you need it.

All hospitals, including emergency departments remain open. If you are seriously unwell and need emergency care please dial 111.

For less critical non-emergency care, people can continue to phone their GP in the first instance. Phones will be managed 24 hours, either directly or through an after-hours duty GP. Most GPs who would normally be open at the weekend have been able to open usual.

For urgent, less serious, health concerns when your doctor is unavailable, contact your local accident and medical centre. A list of these is available on Healthpoint. All clinics are open as usual.

Community pharmacies can support you if you don’t have your regular prescription medications. A list of open pharmacies can be found on Healthpoint.

For general health advice, or if you’re just not sure where you need to go to seek help, call Healthline 0800 611 116.

There are health risks associated with coming in contact with floodwater and Auckland Regional Public Health Service has updated their advice on their website:

Please be extra careful if you are travelling as there may be road closures still in place; check ahead to make sure your normal route is open and safe to use.


The following information will also help you with general wellbeing.

The importance of trying to get enough sleep during these challenging times

  • Good tips here: (this is a national DHB endorsed health site)

The importance of explaining what is going on to children – talking to them and listening to them

Mental Well-being options

a. Anxiety is very common during an emergency event such as a flooding and evacuations. This is a normal response to a very stressful situation. Talking to people and helping others can be both therapeutic and useful.

b. If you need further support for yourself or for others:

  • call your general practice, after-hours GP practice or Healthline on 0800 611 116
  • free-call or text 1737 to talk to a trained counsellor
  • in an emergency, call 111

Māori community / Iwi support

Te Puni Kokiri are actively assessing the situation and contacting local marae, and iwi. Information will be updated as it is received.

Pacific support

Ministry for Pacific Peoples is the Crown’s principal advisor on policies and interventions aimed at improving outcomes for Pacific peoples in Aotearoa. We have strong networks with Pacific communities around the country and expertise in understanding of Pacific people, customs, and values influence public policy, programme, and service decisions affecting Pacific Aotearoa.

Ministry for Pacific Peoples are actively reaching out to Pacific leaders, communities, and service providers to gather information. Currently, support is available through the following services:

South Seas Flood Relief Response
South Seas Healthcare is based in Otara, South Auckland and is available to provide immediate wellbeing support. If you or a member of your aiga has been affected by the flooding and need wellbeing or food support, please phone the team on freephone 0800 31 13 31.

Siaola Vahefonua Tonga Methodist Mission
Siaola is available to provide food and shelter for people affected by the flooding event. If you need help, please call them on freephone 0800 SIAOLA (0800 742 652). Siaola Community Hub address: 636 Great South Road, Ellerslie, Auckland.

Pasifika Futures Ltd
Pasifika Futures Ltd is the Whānau Ora Commissioning Agency for Pacific families, providing support across NZ through their partners. By calling 0800 ETURERE, the Pasifika Futures team will be able to connect you with one of our partners to provide immediate relief support.

If you require support please email or visit

Ethnic Communities support

The Ministry for Ethnic Communities are sending out various communications to all our communities which will outline support available for them over the coming days. This will be followed up with translated information as soon as it is available.

The Ministry for Ethnic Communities are also liaising with key agencies and civil defence centres to ensure that specific needs are met for ethnic communities such as food, spaces for prayers and interpreters.

Support for Disabled People

Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People have advised the following:

  • If you are impacted personally, please contact emergency services on 111. If you have difficulty hearing or talking on the phone, try the 111 TXT service to contact Fire, Ambulance or Police:
  • In the first instance, please up to date with the latest information and advice at
  • Disabled people and whānau can contact Whakarongorau Aotearoa, New Zealand Telehealth Services if you need support on 0800 111 213, Text 8988. Or access it with the New Zealand Relay Service at
  • The three current Civil Defence Centres are all accessible. People going there with assist dogs should take them. Please remember other essential items you may need, such as devices, medicine, warm clothing, and baby items

Foreign Nationals

Foreign Nationals requiring assistance should contact their Embassy or High Commission.
Contact details can be found at Embassies | New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (

Visitors to New Zealand should contact their travel insurer if their travel has been disrupted.

Animal welfare

Your animals are your responsibility. You need to include them in your planning in the event of an emergency.

  • If you have to evacuate, take your pets with you – if you can do so safely – or take them to a safe shelter place.
  • If you have to leave your animals behind, make sure they’re in a secure and sheltered place either inside or outside your home.
  • If you have livestock or horses in paddocks near waterways that have the potential to flood (streams, rivers etc.), move them to higher ground.

For more information see Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) factsheet: Animals affected by flood –

Animal welfare concerns

Phone Auckland CDEM on 0800 22 22 00 to log any animal welfare concerns. MPI will follow up on animal welfare calls.

Veterinary services

If your animals need veterinary treatment, contact your veterinary clinic.


For requests for assistance with livestock, lifestyle blocks or feed phone Federated Farmers on 0800 FARMING (0800 327 646)

Leave a comment

Send this to a friend