Here at Be. Lab we recognise how important it is to grow individual leadership capacity and a community of access leadership throughout Aotearoa. Be. Leadership , our one-of-a-kind and highly successful Accessibility-focused leadership programme, ran from 2011-2021.
In 2022 we reviewed our strategy, and refreshed our programmes to ensure we can achieve meaningful and lasting change. We are delighted to announce a new iteration of our leadership development programme.
The Be. Leadership in Governance Programme
Building a community of disabled and access leaders equipped with the skills for 21 st century governance, and embedding accessibility at a strategic level in the board agenda.
Our long-held vision is for Aotearoa to become the most accessible nation in the world. In 2022 we identified the opportunity to create real economic and social impact by elevating the accessibility conversation to board level.
In partnership with ODI (Whaikaha, Ministry of Disabled People) and with the support of the Institute of Directors and Governance NZ we have developed a new and unique programme which is an extension of the commitment we have made for the past 11 years to grow a community of disabled and access leadership throughout Aotearoa.
Quite simply -we need to see disabled and access leadership around the board table adding value to the commitment to reimagine the future; inclusive of all.
In 2022 we ran a pilot of this unique programme, and we are excited to announce that we will be running another intake in 2023.
What is it?
The 8-day Be. Leadership in Governance programme will help develop the skills required for 21st century governance roles and equip participants to be effective and successful members of boards.
The programme aims to:
- develop a community of skilled and experienced disabled and access leadership in governance roles throughout Aotearoa, and
- embed accessibility as a strategic leadership and competitive advantage opportunity, addressed within the board agenda
The programme will consist of:
- 8 sessions over approximately 13-weeks (3 in-person, and 4 online)
- presentations from, and conversations with governance and leadership professionals on critical areas of board competence
- discussions and workshops
- there will be an opportunity to be assigned a mentor
- (*If you are accepted onto the programme, we will cover any costs relating to travel for the in-person sessions).
When is it?
The next Be. Leadership in Governance will run from March to May 2023.
- Friday 3rd March: Opening retreat / Session 1 – Full day In-person
- Saturday 4th March: Opening retreat / Session 2 – Full day In-person
- Wednesday 15th March: Session 3 – Half Day Online
- Wednesday 29th March: Session 4 – Half Day Online
- Wednesday 12th April: Session 5 – Half Day Online
- Wednesday 26th April: Session 6 – Half Day Online
- Wednesday 10th May: Session 7 – Half Day Online
- Wednesday 24th May: Session 8 – Full day In-person
On completion participants who have completed the course will:
- receive a Be. Leadership in Governance certificate
- be equipped to contribute and add value to governance roles with confidence, and
- be included in the Be. Leadership in governance database and ODI governance database
Who can apply?
The programme is designed for a maximum of 20 disabled and access leaders who are:
- seeking to develop the skills, knowledge and understanding of the place of governance in the 21stcentury
- new to governance roles and wish to develop their effectiveness, or are seeking their first board role
(Applicants must also be able to attend all 8 session dates).
Successful applicants will:
- have a clear vision for why they are seeking a governance role and what value/expertise they have to offer
- have a vision for advancing accessibility in Aotearoa
- have demonstrated experience in leadership
- be curious and well-informed about the issues facing Aotearoa now and in the future
- be a member of the disability and access community in Aotearoa
- reflect the diversity of Aotearoa, and
- be a citizen or permanent resident of Aotearoa.
How much does it cost?
- We will be continuing to invest in leadership development of disabled and access leaders, and we want to make it as easy and accessible as possible to apply
- Therefore there will be no cost for the Be. Leadership in Governance Programme 2023.
- (*If you are accepted onto the programme, we will also cover any costs relating to travel for the in-person sessions).
Applications are now open for the 2023 intake:
- We will be holding interviews for places on the next programme in February 2023
- Applications close 5pm Monday 16th January 2023
- Send a letter or NZSL video, addressing the criteria in the “Successful applicants” section above to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application letters must be no longer than 2 pages (or an NZSL video of 8 minutes maximum).
- Applicants will be contacted in January
- If you have any questions please e-mail email@example.com