New Zealand takes family violence and sexual violence seriously. No-one should feel scared or be harmed by others. Help is available for all adults and children.

If you’re in immediate danger call the Police on 111. If you’re unable to talk, listen for the option to dial 55 – this will put you directly through to the Police.

On-site staff are also there to help. Reach out for them for information available to help or call one of the helplines.

Family violence help: 0800 456 450

Sexual abuse help: 0800 044 334

Welfare support

There is help available if you need essential information or support services, including applying for financial assistance (and other support you may need).The Ministry of Social Development can help in lots of different ways and situations. You can also ask on-site staff to refer you. It’s a good idea to consider your options early in your stay so assistance is available if you need it when you leave the facility.


If you’re needing work when you leave the facility, there’s an online tool that connects employers with people looking for work: www.workandincome.govt.nz/work

If you find a job you’re interested in there’s help for you to apply or talk to the employer. There’s also help available with training and work experience, with your CV, cover letter or filling out applications.


If you don’t have a job or can’t work in the near future, you may be able to get a benefit or some financial help.

This website helps you check what financial support you might get: check.msd.govt.nz

Travel costs

There may be help available if you need support with travel costs to get home. You don’t have to be on a benefit. Email us at riqc@msd.govt.nz


Everyone deserves to have somewhere safe and healthy to live.

If you have nowhere to go when you leave isolation there may be help available to help you find somewhere to live. Email us at riqc@msd.govt.nz

For any other information please visit: www.workandincome.govt.nz

Send this to a friend