MSD – Rent Arrears Assistance

If you’re going to lose your housing because you can’t pay your overdue rent, you may be able to get Rent Arrears Assistance.

  • You don’t need to be on a benefit to qualify for this help.
  • It depends on your income and assets.
  • It’s a one-off payment.
  • You’ll need to pay the money back.

Who can get Rent Arrears Assistance?

You may be able to get Rent Arrears Assistance if you:

  • have overdue rent you need to pay
  • may be evicted because you haven’t paid your rent
  • will be able to stay in the house after you pay the overdue rent.
    For example:

    • your tenancy isn’t about to expire
    • you can afford to keep paying the rent.
  • have signed the tenancy agreement (or you’re a tenant by way of a Family Violence Act order).

You also need to be:

  • 16 or older
  • living in New Zealand and intending to stay here
  • either:
    • a New Zealand citizen, or
    • a permanent resident living in New Zealand for more than two years, or
    • getting a main benefit, like Jobseeker Support.

It also depends on your income and assets.

What you can get

How much you get depends how much rent you owe. The most you can get is $4,000 and you’ll need to pay it back.

You can only get this payment once in 12 months, unless there are exceptional situations.

If your application for rent arrears assistance is approved, we usually pay the rent arrears to your landlord.

How to apply

  • Call us on 0800 559 009
  • If you get NZ Super or Veteran’s Pension, call 0800 552 002
  • If you get a Student Allowance or Student Loan, call StudyLink on 0800 88 99 00.

We’ll talk about your situation and book an appointment for you to apply.

Find out more:

Send this to a friend