Support is available for essential businesses so they can pay people who can’t work during the lockdown.
If you work for an essential business, and it’s recommended you stay home because of Ministry of Health guidelines, and you can’t work from home, your employer can apply for money to pay your wages.
You might be:
- self-isolating because you have the virus or have been close to someone who has the virus
- caring for someone who is sick or self-isolating
- at higher risk if you get COVID-19
- living with someone who is at higher risk if they get COVID-19.
The employer can be paid:
- $585.80 for people working 20 hours or more per week (full-time rate)
- $350.00 for people working less than 20 hours per week (part-time rate).
The payments are for 4 weeks. Your employer can apply again in the fourth week if they need to.
How much you get paid depends on your employer and their situation. They are encouraged to pay people at least 80% of their usual wages.
Guidelines on who is most at risk: https://covid19.govt.nz/individuals-and-households/health-and-wellbeing/vulnerable-people/#who-is-at-higher-risk-to-covid-19
More information about Essential Workers Leave Support: https://workandincome.govt.nz/products/a-z-benefits/covid-19-essential–workers-leave-support.html