The government has made the decision to move to Alert Level 3 and then to Alert Level 4 on Wednesday 25th March because Coronavirus / COVID-19 has started to spread through our communities. We need to act quickly to stop this spread. The Ministry of Health is doing everything we can to make sure that we keep your health and disability supports in place.
This message is mainly for people and families who need health and disability support services, especially if you are over 70 years old, or have certain health conditions as listed on the Ministry of Health website.
This move will help us to slow the spread of the virus, and also get ready for the country to go to Alert Level 4. Over the next two days, we are at Alert Level 3.
Alert Level 3 for the next two days means:
- Most pre-schools, schools and universities will be closed.
- Day care services, public facilities like libraries and museums will be closed, and people can’t get together in large groups.
- Some shops and cafes will also be closed.
- Supermarkets, petrol stations, banks, primary health clinics and pharmacies will stay open at all alert levels.
While we are at Alert Level 3 until Wednesday 25th March you need to:
- stay at home as much as possible and ask for help with your shopping and other essential things you may need
- Get organised to work from home
- Limit your travel and movement around your community
- Don’t go to anything where there are large groups of people, you can go outside for fresh air and a walk but stay 2 meters away from other people.
If you are sick and need to go to your GP or see a nurse, you need to call your usual health clinic before you go.
- They will tell you the best way to talk to your GP or nurse.
- They might not be able to see you in person but, you will still be able to get advice.
Some non-urgent health services will be postponed, but you will be notified if this happens. This is, so our health care workers are available to look after people who get sick with the COVID-19 virus, or have other urgent medical needs.